Toxic Plants for Dogs

You might have these common poisonous plants at home making your dog sick or uncomfortable. Dogs are family and it's important to keep them healthy and your mind at ease.



 

Sago Palm


The sago palm can be found indoor and outdoor in subtropic areas like Florida or California. All parts of the sago palm are poisonous, but the seeds are the most toxic especially since they are easier for dogs to consume. The sago palm contains several toxic compounds from the leaves, bark, and seeds. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, liver failure, and potentially death.

 

Tulips


Tulips are a spring fan favorite, from their bright colors and accessibility. From chewing on the leaves, to digging out a newly planted Tulip bulb, this plant will make your dog sick. Most toxins are in the bulb of this plant, Symptoms if ingested can include intense stomach upset, depression, loss of appetite and more.

 

Dieffenbachia


Dieffenbachia is a popular indoor plant with patterned leaves than can be colorful. If the leaves are chewed or ingested, they’re likely to feel as if their mouth, tongue and lips are burning from the calcium oxalate crystals (also found in the philodendrons family). Symptoms include drooling more than normal, vomiting, hard breathing, and more.

 

Philodendrons


If it has heart-shaped leaves and long vines, it's most likely a Philodendrons. These types of plants contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, which irritates your dog’s mouth and lips. If any leaves/vines are swallowed, your dog may be drooling or pawing at their mouth. The Philodendron family, which includes Swiss cheese plant, heartleaf and fiddle-leaf philodendron, have a toxicity level of mild to moderate for cats and dogs. Symptoms can also include mouth pain, swelling of mouth/tongue/lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.

 

Oleander


Oleander is a common plant for yard landscaping along the west coast. This plant can be found with white, pink, red, and yellow flowers. Can be seen as a tree/bushy shrub up to 12 feet high. The flower petals and leaves are very poisonous to dogs.

Symptoms can include changes in heart rate, diarrhea, stomach pain, drooling, and more.

 

Aloe Vera


Aloe vera plants have serrated leaves, yellow flowers, and a gel inside its leaves. While the gel may be good for humans to use, it is not for dogs. Aloe plants contain saponin, which is toxic to animals. Ingestion of aloe vera can cause vomiting, severe diarrhea, and low blood sugar Aloe plants can cause the breakdown of red blood cells which can be fatal if not treated immediately.

 

If your dog has ingested any of these plants, we recommend calling and/or taking your dog to the veterinarian right away. We strongly encourage you to check any plants you have inside or in the backyard to ensure they aren't toxic or harming your dog. There are hundreds of plants toxic to dogs, here we have listed the most common household plants. Dogs are like family, so please share this post with any dog moms you know. Find more blog posts and dog related content on our website childrenwithwhiskers.com childrenwithwhiskers.com




 


Nothing is better than helping yourself while supporting a local business. By giving your support to Children with Whiskers, your proceeds are partially donated to help the dog community. We appreciate your choice to support a women owned small business and know you will enjoy all of our quality products!


Disclaimer: Children With Whiskers is not a veterinarian, doctor, nutritionist, or dietician. We love your dog just as much as you so please consult your pet’s health care provider regarding any health-related decisions. Any products mentioned in Children With Whiskers blog/website are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We do not hold any affiliates with brands or companies mentioned in this post. The statements contained in this website or blog have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All